Friday, June 28, 2013

Victoria: Day 1

Dear Charlie and Polly,

Thursday was a very busy day! We got off the ferry about 10:30 in the morning and walked about ten minutes to our hotel. We thought it was too early in the day to check in, but when we got there, they told us our room was ready! We were so happy because we were exhausted! My presentation at the conference wasn't scheduled until 4:00 in the afternoon, so we had some time to eat lunch and rest before I had to be ready.

We ate lunch at the hotel's Veranda restaurant, outdoors looking out over the city. Victoria is the capital of the Canadian province of British Columbia, and this is their Parliament building.



Victoria is beautiful! Because it was settled by Great Britain, it was named after Queen Victoria, and it has a very British feel about it.

After lunch and a short rest, it was time for my presentation. This is an international conference, and we met people from all over the world. My presentation went very well. I talked about all the changes I am planning to make in my technology class in the fall.



After the presentation, we stopped by the Bengal Room in the hotel. Queen Victoria was also known as the Empress of India, and this restaurant looks like it could be in India! How do you like this Bengal tiger wall hanging over the fireplace? Doc says he wants one just like it for over our fireplace in the living room. What do you think?



After we left the Bengal Room, we walked down the street to Pescatore's where we ate dinner. Check out these fans on the ceiling. Do you see how they are all working off the same pulleys? It reminded me of Polly's Goldie Blox game.



Doc had the Chinook salmon. I tasted a bite and it was delicious, and I l usually don't even like salmon!



I had the mixed grill - grilled ahi tuna, beef, and shrimp. Yum!



















After dinner, we took a walk around the city. On the way back, I saw these orca whale topiaries in the garden outside the hotel. Orcas are very common in this area. They are also called killer whales, but they are really not very dangerous to people. Maybe Doc and I will see some whales while we are here!























After our walk, we went back to our hotel and went to sleep. Sooooo tired! Zzzzzzzzz...

We love you and miss you both,

Sweetie and Doc

No comments:

Post a Comment